Union Public Service Commission, Indian Engineering Services Examination (IES):
Branch: Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
The syllabus for the two papers is as following (Paper-1 and paper-2)
Paper-1 (Preliminary Examination, Stage-1)
General Studies and engineering Aptitude:
1. Current affairs of national and international importance related to social, economic and industrial development.
2. Engineering Aptitude with Logical Reasoning and Analytical ability.
3. Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis.
4. Principles of Design, Drawing, Importance of safety.
5. Standard and quality practices in production, construction, maintenance and services.
6. Basics of energy conservation, Environmental pollutions and degradation, climate change , Environmental impacts.
7. Basics of Project Management.
8. Basics of Material Science and Engineering.
9. Tools and their applications in Engineering such as networking, e-governance and technology based education, based on Information and communication Technology (ICT).
10. Ethics and values in Engineering Profession.
Paper-2 (Preliminary Examination, Stage-1)
Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
1. Basic Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering
2. Basic electrical Engineering
3. Materials Science
4. Electronic Measurements and Instrumentation
5. Network Theory
6. Analog and Digital Circuits
7. Analog and Digital Communication system
8. Control Systems
9. Computer Organization and Architecture
10. Electro magnetic
11. Advance Electronics
12. Advanced Communication
Paper-1 (Mains Examination, Stage -2)
- Basic Electronic Engineering:
- Basics of semiconductors,
- Basics and characteristics of Diode/ Transistor,
- Different uses of Diodes,
- Junction field effect transistors (JFETs), MOSFETs, BJTs,
- Different types of Transistor amplifiers,
- Oscillators and other circuits, Basics of Integrated Circuits (ICs),
- Bipolar, MOS and CMOS ICs,
- Basics of linear ICs, Linear and non-linear operational amplifiers and their applications,
- Optical sources and detector,
- Basics of opto electronics and its applications
2.Basic Electrical Engineering:
- DC circuits-ohm’s and Kirchoff’s laws
- Mesh and Nodal Analysis
- Circuit Theorems
- Faraday’s and Lenz’s laws
- Induced EMF and its uses
- Single-phase AC circuits
- Basic-DC machines
- Induction and Synchronous Machines
- Basics of Electrical power sources: hydroelectric, thermal, nuclear, wind, solar
- Basics of batteries and their uses.
3. Material Science:
- Electrical Engineering materials
- Crystal Structure and defects
- Composites and structure of Ceramic materials
- Processing and uses of Ceramic materials
- Structure, properties and uses of Insulating laminates for electronics
- Basics, classification, ferrites of magnetic materials, components of ferro/para-magnetic materials
- Basics, preparation, purification, sintering of Nano Materials, Nano particles and its uses.
- Nano-optical, Nano-magnetic and Nano-electronic materials and uses.
- Superconductivity and its uses.
4. Electronic Measurement and Instrumentation:
- Principles, accuracy, precision and standards of measurement
- Analog and Digital systems for measurement, Measuring instruments for different applications
- Static and Dynamic characteristics of measurement systems, Errors, statistical analysis and curve fitting for measurement system.
- Measurement systems for non-electrical quantities.
- Basics of telemetry
- Different types of transducers and displays
- Data acquisition system basics.
5. Network Theory:
- Network graphs and matrices
- Wye-Delta transformation
- Linear constant coefficient differential equations- time domain analysis of RLC circuit.
- Solution of network equations using Laplace transforms-frequency domain analysis of RLC circuit.
- 2-Port network parameters -driving point and transfer functions
- State equations for networks
- Steady state sinusoidal analysis
6. Analog and Digital Circuits:
- Small signal equivalent circuits of diodes and BJTs and FETs.
- Diode circuits for different uses
- Biasing and stability of BJT & JFET amplifier circuits.
- Single and multi-stage analysis and design of amplifiers.
- Feedback and uses
- Active filters, Timers, Multipliers, Wave shaping, Analog to digital and Digital to Analog converters.
- Boolean-Algebra and its uses.
- Logic gates, Digital IC families, Combinatorials and Sequential circuits
- Basics of multiplexers, Counters, registers, memories, microprocessors, design and applications.
Paper-2 (Mains Examination, Stage -2)
1.Analog and Digital Communication Systems:
- Random Signals, noise, probability theory, information theory
- Analog versus Digital communication and applications like AM, FM transmitters and receivers systems and Theory, practice and standards of system, SNR comparison.
- Basics of Digital Communication as Sampling, Quantizing, Coding, PCM, DPCM, Multiplexing-audio and video.
- Digital Modulation as ASK, FSK, PSK
- Multiple access as TDMA, FDMA, CDMA
- Fibre optics, Theory, practice and standards of Optical communication.
2. Control Systems:
- Classification of signals and systems
- Application of signal and system theory.
- System realization
- Transformation & their applications
- Signal Flow graphs, Routh-Hurwitz criteria, root loci, Nyquist and Bode plots
- Open and close loop types, Stability analysis, Steady state, transient and frequency response analysis in Feedback Systems.
- Design of control systems, compensators, element of lead/ lag compensation, PID and industrial controllers.
3.Computer Organization and Architecture:
- Basic Architecture, CPU, Input/output organization, Peripheral devices and trends.
- Hardware and Software issues.
- Data representation and Programming.
- Characteristics, process, applications and basics of Operating System.
- Memory management, Virtual memory, file-systems, protection and security.
- Characteristics, Design and different types of data bases.
- Transactions and concurrency control
- Elements of programming languages and their typical examples.
4. Electro Magnetic:
- Elements of vector calculus, Basic concepts of Maxwell’s equations.
- Gauss’s and Stokes Theorems.
- Wave propagation through different media.
- Different types and basics of Transmission Lines, Smith’s chart, impedance matching and transformation, S-parameters, uses of Pulse excitation.
- Basics of Waveguides, Rectangular types, Modes, cut-off frequency, dispersion, dielectric types, Antennas-radiation pattern, monopoles and dipoles, gain, Theory and uses of Active and passive arrays.
5. Advanced Electronics:
- Processing, Testing, packaging, lithography, interconnects of VLSI technology
- Principles and MUX, ROM and PLA based design of VLSI, Moore and mealy circuit design
- Concepts and Functions of Pipelines.
- Examples and design for testability.
- Uses of DSP, Discrete time signals and systems.
- FIR and IIR types, design, speech, audio, radar signal processing and uses of Digital Filters
- Basics of Microprocessors and Microcontrollers, interrupts, DMA, instruction sets, interfacing.
- Controllers and their uses.
- Embedded systems.
6. Advance Communication:
- Principles, practices, technologies, uses, security and OSI model of Communication Networks.
- Basic packets, Multiple-streams and scheduling.
- Types, analysis and Protocols (TCP/TCPIP) of Cellular networks.
- Microwave and satellite communication as Terrestrial and space type LOS systems, block schematics link calculations, System design
- Communication satellites, orbits, characteristics, systems and uses.
- Fibre-optic communication systems, block schematics, link calculations, system design.