Union Public Service Commission, Indian Engineering Services Examination (IES):
Branch: Electrical Engineering
The syllabus for the two papers is as following (Paper-1 and paper-2)
Paper-1 (Preliminary Examination, Stage-1)
General Studies and engineering Aptitude:
1. Current affairs of national and international importance related to social, economic and industrial development.
2. Engineering Aptitude with Logical Reasoning and Analytical ability.
3. Engineering Mathematics and Numerical Analysis.
4. Principles of Design, Drawing, Importance of safety.
5. Standard and quality practices in production, construction, maintenance and services.
6. Basics of energy conservation, Environmental pollutions and degradation, climate change , Environmental impacts.
7. Basics of Project Management.
8. Basics of Material Science and Engineering.
9. Tools and their applications in Engineering such as networking, e-governance and technology based education, based on Information and communication Technology (ICT).
10. Ethics and values in Engineering Profession.
Paper-2 (Preliminary Examination, Stage-1)
1. Engineering Mathematics
2. Electrical Materials
3. Electric Circuit and fields
4. Electrical and Electronic Measurement
5. Computer Fundamentals
6. Basic Electronics Engineering
7. Analog and Digital Electronics
8. System and Signal Processing
9. Control System
10. Electrical Machines
11. Power System
12. Power and Drives
Paper-1 (Mains Examination, Stage -2)
1. Engineering Mathematics:
- Matrix Theory
- Eigen Values and Eigen vectors
- System of linear equations
- Numerical methods of solution of non-linear algebraic equations and differential equations
- Integral Calculus
- Partial derivatives
- Maxima and Minima
- Line, Surface and Volume Integrals
- Fourier Series
- Linear, Non-linear and partial differential equations
- Initial and boundary value problems
- Complex variable
- Taylor’s and Laurent’s series
- Residue theorem
- Probability and statistics fundamentals
- Sampling theorem
- Random Variables
- Normal and Poisson distributions
- Correlation and regression analysis
2. Electrical Materials:
- Electrical Engineering Materials
- Crystal Structures and defects
- Ceramic Materials
- Insulating Materials
- Properties, applications and basics of Magnetic Materials
- Ferrities, Ferro-magnetic materials and its components
- Basics of solid state Physics and Conductors
- Basics of Nano Materials and Superconductors
3. Electric Circuits and Fields :
- Circuit elements
- Network graph
- KCL, KVL
- Node and Mesh analysis
- Ideal Current and Voltage Sources
- Thevenin’s and Norton’s Superposition and Maximum Power Transfer Theorems
- Transient response of DC and AC networks
- Sinusoidal steady state analysis
- Basic filter concepts
- Two-port networks, Three-phase circuits
- Magnetically coupled circuits
- Gauss Theorem
- Electric field and potential due to point,line, plane and spherical charge distributions
- Amper’s and Biot-Savart’s laws
- Inductance, Dielectrics, Capacitance
- Maxwell’s Equations
4. Electrical and Electronic Measurement :
- Principles, accuracy, precision and standards of measurements.
- Bridges and Potentiometers
- Moving coil. Moving iron and Dynamometer and induction type instruments
- Measurement of Voltage, Power, Current, Energy and Power factor
- Instrument Transformers
- Digital Voltmeters and Multi-meters
- Phase, Time and Frequency Measurement
- Q-Meters, Oscilloscopes
- Potentiometric recorders
- Error analysis
- Basics of sensors, Transducers
- Basics of data Acquisition system.
5. Computer Fundamentals:
- Number System
- Boolean Algebra
- Arithmetic Functions
- Basic Architecture
- Central Processing Unit
- Input/Output and Memory Organisation
- Peripheral Devices
- Data Representation and Programming
- Basics of Operating System and Networking
- Virtual Memory
- File Systems
- Element of Programming Languages and their examples.
- 6. Basic Electronic Engineering:
- Characteristics and basics of Semiconductors diode and Transistors.
- Junction and Field effect Transistors (BJT, FET, MOSFETs)
- Different type of transistor amplifiers
- Equivalent circuits and frequency response
- Oscillators and other circuits
- Feedback Amplifiers.
Paper-2 (Mains Examination, Stage -2)
1. Analog and Digital Electronics:
- Characteristics and applications of operational amplifiers
- Combinational and sequential logic circuits
- Multiplexers, Multi-vibrators, Sample and hold circuits
- Analog to Digital and digital to Analog Converters
- Applications and Basics of Filter Circuits
- Simple Active filters
- Interfaces, Applications and Basics of Microprocessor
- Basics of Linear Integrated circuits
- Basics of Analog Communication
- Modulation and demodulation
- Noise and Bandwidth, Transmitters and receivers
- Signal to noise ratio
- Basics of Digital Communication
- Sampling, Quantizing, coding, frequency and time domain multiplexing
- Power line carrier communication systems.
2. Systems and Signal Processing:
- Representing of continuous and discrete-time signals
- Shifting and scaling operations
- Linear, Time-invariant and Casual systems
- Fourier series representation of continuous periodic signals
- Sampling theorem, Fourier and Laplace Transforms
- Z-transform, Discrete Fourier Transform
- FFT, Linear Convolution
- Discrete cosine transform, IIR filter, Bilinear transformation.
3. Control Systems:
- Principles of feedback
- Transfer system
- Block diagrams and signal flow graphs
- Steady state errors
- Transforms and their applications
- Routh-hurwitz criterion
- Nyquist techniques
- Bode plots, Root Loci, Lag, Lead and Lead-Lag Compensation
- Stability analysis
- Transient and frequency response analysis
- State Space Model
- State transition Matrix
- Linear state variable feedback
- PID and Industrial controllers
- 4 Electrical Machines:
- Connections, parallel operation, auto transformer energy conversion principles of Single phase transformers and Three-phase Transformers.
- DC machine and its types, winding, generator characteristics, armature reaction and communication
- Starting and speed control of motors
- Induction motors and its principles, types, performance, characteristics and starting and speed control.
- Synchronous machines and its performance, regulation, parallel operation of generators.
- Motor starting and its characteristics and applications
- Servo and Stepper Motors.
- 5 Power Systems:
- Basic concepts of Power generation
- Steam, gas, water turbines, transmission line models and its performance
- Cable performance
- Insulation, corona and radio interfaces
- Power factor correction
- Symmetrical components
- Fault analysis and Principles of protection system
- basics of solid state relays and digital protection
- Circuit breakers, Radial and ring-main distribution systems
- Matrix representation of power systems
- load flow analysis, voltage control and economic operation
- System stability concepts
- Swing curves and equal area criterion
- HVDC transmission and concepts of FACTS
- Concepts of power system dynamics
- distributed generation, solar and wind power
- Smart grid concepts
- Environmental implications
- Fundamentals of power economics.
6. Power Electronics and Drivers:
- Semiconductor power diodes
- Transistors, thyristors and triacs
- Static characteristics and principles of operation of GTOs, MOSFETs and IGBTs
- Triggering circuits, Phase control rectifiers
- Fully controlled and half controlled Bridge converters
- Principles of choppers and inverters
- Basic concepts of adjustable speed DC and AC drives
- DC-DC switched mode converters, DC-AC switched mode converters and resonant converters
- High frequency inductors and transformers
- Power supplies.