Which of the following do not affect capacitance?
(a) Area of the plates.
(b) Separation of the plates.
(c) Material between the plates.
(d) Charge on the plates.
(e) Energy stored in the capacitor.
When the proton (Q = +e) and electron (Q = -e) strike the opposite plate, which one has more kinetic energy?
(a) The proton.
(b) The electron.
(c) Both acquire the same kinetic energy.
(d) Neither-there is no change in kinetic energy.
(e) They both acquire the same kinetic energy but...
1. A proton (Q = +e) and an electron (Q = -e) are in a constant electric field created by oppositely charged plates. You release the proton from near the positive plate and the electron from near the negative plate. Which feels the larger electric force?
(a) The proton.
(b) The electr...
Which of the following statements is valid?
(a) If the potential at a particular point is zero, the field at that point must be zero.
(b) If the field at a particular point is zero, the potential at that point must be zero.
(c) If the field throughout a particular region is constant, ...
1. Four identical point charges are arranged at the corners of a square. The electric field E and potential V at the center of the square are
(a) E = 0, V = 0.
(b) E = 0, V ≠ 0.
(c) E ≠ 0, V ≠ 0.
(d) E ≠ 0, V = 0.
(e) E = V regardless of the value.
2. If it takes an amount of ...
1. Which of the following is a vector?
(a) Electric potential.
(b) Electric potential energy.
(c) Electric field.
(d) Equipotential lines.
2. A + 0.2 μC charge is in an electric field. What happens if that charge is replaced by a -0.2 μC charge?
(a) The electric pot...
1. A + 0.2 μC charge is in an electric field. What happens if that charge is replaced by a + 0.4 μC charge?
(a) The electric potential doubles, but the electric potential energy stays the same.
(b) The electric potential stays the same, but the electric potential energy doubles.
A dielectric is pulled out from between the plates of a capacitor which remains connected to a battery. What changes occur to
(a) The capacitance,
(b) The charge on the plates,
(c) The potential difference,
(d) The energy stored in the capacitor,
(e) The electric field? Explain your a...
How does the energy stored in a capacitor change when a dielectric is inserted if
(a) The capacitor is isolated so Q does not change;
(b) The capacitor remains connected to a battery so V does not change? Explain.